When I am pressed for time and need to ensure everyone in the family will be happy with what I have decided to make for dinner, I can always count on this super easy recipe.
What is it?
Tagliatelle or fettuccini pasta, créme fraiche, pancetta, shaved Parmesan or Romano cheese, and a dash of hot-salt. It's super creamy, has just a hint of heat, and is beyond satisfying.
What you need:
- Olive oil
- Tagliatelle or fettuccini pasta - Preferably fresh, it's worth it and you can find it at most grocery stores in the refrigerated section.
- Parmesan or Romano cheese block
- Créme Fraiche (small 8oz container) - This is usually located with the specialty cheeses at most grocery stores. If your store does not carry créme fraiche, you can also use Mexican cream.
- Pancetta - This is usually located near specialty meats
- Hot Salt
- Optional extras: 1 Egg (yolk only), freshly ground black pepper.
Less than 10 min (remember, a watched pot never boils)
- Boil lightly salted water with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
- While the water boils, cook the pancetta at medium heat until it's browned and crispy. Don't burn it!
- Once the water boils, add pasta and cook to al dente.
- Drain pasta and return to pot
- Add the container of créme fraiche, add the pancetta
- Mix thoroughly to coat all pasta pausing to add hot salt
- Optional: If you are looking for the richest flavor, add one raw egg yolk just before serving and mix again
- Top with shaved Parmesan (I use a vegetable peeler to get nice large shavings)
- Finish with a little bit more hot salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
You and everyone else will love it!